The student news site of Austin High School

The Sentinel

Go Green Club

Matt Anderson

At AHS there is a group of environmentally friendly students who meet to discuss the environment and how they can be conscious of it. Go Green club, advised by Ms.Rueckert meets weekly and is involved in many activities including helping out with Re-Fest and volunteering at the Hormel Nature Center, along with being in involved in the Izaak Walton Association. “It’s whatever the students try to make of it, so whoever wants to join can make the organization what it is,” said Ruekert.

Senior Paony Oman has been involved in Go Green club for a few years and her interest was sparked from some family members who were a part of the club. “Being Green is important because it’s important to care about the environment and lessen all the pollution that we put into the world.” One of Paony’s favorite memories is installing solar panels on the annex roof to help make AHS more efficient. Another senior, Alisa Hughes, joined Go Green Club to volunteer and get involved in community and has done things such as water testing and other activities at the Nature Center.

There are about ten members of the Go Green club and they would love to have new people in the group. Go Green is a great opportunity to get out and help the world become green. At AHS everyone can be environmentally conscience by throwing recycling in the the marked lockers. Remember, “Recycle, recycle, recycle!”