The student news site of Austin High School

The Sentinel

Austin Cheer Team Hypes Up the Crowd at Homecoming 2016

Caylee Meier and Rebecka Vargas

img_52201 It was brisk evening on October, 7th 2016, and the Austin Packer Cheer team astonished the crowd with their homecoming halftime routine at Wescott field.

Captains; Caylee Meier, Tressie Kinney and Emma Taunitz created the dance and over the past few weeks have been drilling it with the girls to put on one of the best shows AHS fans have ever seen. This season, returning captain and now known as coach Nicole Olson was asked, “How did you prepare yourself for this dance?” She responded, “after helping come up with the homecoming routine with my co-captains for the last two years, it was hard to hand over the reins. I had to trust the captains to come up with a great dance and they did! I just remember that we have agreat team and they will put out a good show.”  And of course with a little Austin Packer spirit we then asked Nikki, “Are you excited for the Austin Packers to bring the win over the Albert Lea Tigers this Friday?”And with pride she states, “If the Austin Packers fight like I know they can, it should be a great game. GO PACK!” As we know, her prediction was correct and the Austin Packers went on to slay the Albert Lea Tigers in a brutal battle of 50-7.img_52191

As a matter of fact, the homecoming routine went beyond well, first the dance started with a quartet with the only the captains and seniors and at the time the song “Formation” by Beyoncé is playing. The team then transitioned to a split stunt and the song, “All I do is Win” where a flyer is doing a split in mid- air, while Caylee Meier had her first basket toss ft. Jojo Shamp. The JV cheer team had moved into their positions on the field for the song “Dance like yo daddy” by Meghan Trainer, And the team transitions into one giant line where a peal happens creating an interesting affect, but drawing your eyes on the two tumblers, Sam Sheldon and Tayylor Anderson in the front. Before you know it the girls are in two giant circles doing all sorts of 8-counts. The last song then is “Die Young” by Ke$ha and varsity girls move to a difficult stunt known as Egg Drop. The Flyer in the stunt Jojo is basically thrown in all directions as her bases catch her and throw her to eventually land back on her feet and two other stunt groups then catch her hands. This was of course the grand finally of the dance.

Great job to the Cheerleaders, Captains, Coaches and of course the football team Friday night for putting the cherry on top of an already great homecoming week. GO BIG RED!