The student news site of Austin High School

The Sentinel

Tears of Joy

Dawson Hollund

The Hormel institute for the 7th straight year is looking to knock it out of the park with Paint the Town Pink (PTTP). PTTP has been a huge cancer fund raiser for seven years, and so far, they have earned a total $826,000 and this year’s goal is to crush $300,000. PTTP has grown even bigger than imagined, the first year they started the fundraiser it was only paint the rink pink for the Austin Bruin’s and managed to get $23,000 in donations. Now it has more events like, Adams steak fry at the American Legion, a hot dish feed, a bean bag tournament, a snowmobile speed run and many more. It even lasts from January to February and stretches further than Austin! Reaching Brownsdale, Adams, Rose Creek, Grand Meadow, Blooming Prairie, and LeRoy.  Tim Cloyd of TEC Visions is planning to do an extreme hot air balloon flight and urges everyone to follow his flight. He also said he is going to donate all the money he raises.

This event is a huge fundraiser for cancer and should be spread worldwide, Debbie Retterath a cancer survivor herself stresses that anyone battling cancer is not alone. Cancer in one way has effected almost everyone at one point in their life. Gail Dennison the Director of Development and Public Relations said, that the amount of money they have already gotten in the last 7 years is phenomenal and only hopes to crush the current goal. Also, saying that its some of the best research in the world and their good stewards of the money.  PTTP director Kathy Finley even thanked the community for its support, she also thanked steering committee, member, business, and individuals that host events and continue to support the various fundraiser events. She also said, “you’d be hard pressed to find another area that is as generous and caring as much as our area is, so we appreciate all of your support very, very much.”  I agree with that to and the only way we can stop cancer is to come together and get the whole world involved and take it one step at a time.