The student news site of Austin High School

The Sentinel

Nicki’s Charity Work!

Arikka Gills

Nicki Minaj born as OnikaTanya Maraj in James,Trinidad on December 8,1982. At a young age Minaj knew she was going to blow up and be a big Hip Hop star and she always liked giving back to the less fortunate. When she was younger and she barely had anything Onika still gave back the little things she could. The more Minaj career blew up the more her and her record label, Young Money Entertainment, gave back to the community and different charities

Every year around Thanksgiving, Minaj gives back to the community by helping the needy. November 2012, the Famous Hip Hop star donated 15,000 to a New York charity to help feed the needy. The funds she donated helped the homeless shelters, gave the people hot meals, and even helped those who suffered in Superstorm Sandy. Nicki also went to her old elementary school and gave away free turkeys to the ones who needed extra help to get food for Thanksgiving.

Minaj always dreamed of having her own personal Barbie doll, so she decided to team up with Barbie to get a doll made to support the HIV/AIDS charity. The doll was up for auction for the charity starting at $1,000. The money that was raised will go to the Project Angel Food, a charity that helps feed the people affected with HIV/AIDS.

Minaj’s giving back doesn’t stop there however, she has also teamed up with the Breast Cancer Awareness Foundation, she wanted to turn “Black Friday” to “Pink Friday”. She will help by joining in on the twelve hour webcast from noon to midnight where electronics will be sold 50% off the regular price. The money Nicki raise will got to the Breast Cancer Awareness Foundation. In an interview Nicki stated, “I fully support the the efforts of “Pink Friday” and goal the raising funds to support Susan G Komen (the founder of the program) for the cure and the charge to bring an end to breast cancer”.

Minaj is a very charitable person and is always willing to give back not only to the community with money but she gives back her time and support, as well as reaching out to other celebrities for help to bring in more money for whatever the cause is.