The student news site of Austin High School

The Sentinel

Movie Review: Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children

Arieonna Smith-Johnson

This movie, Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children, is about a boy looking for Miss Peregrine and the peculiar children, and when he finds them, he must figure out who can be trusted and who is real. Don’t you think it would be cool to learn about peculiar children and then actually see them for yourself? Jacob didn’t believe at first but then he seen something that made him think differently. Soon he found out he was little peculiar himself.

Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children was directed by Tim Burton. This movie came out Sept. 30, 2016, and is a Twentieth Century Fox Film. “Running underneath the creepy tuff is the message that being different doesn’t make you a misfit, just unique and gifted in your own way,” stated S. Jhoanna Robledo.

In this movie, a boy named Jacob grows up listening to his grandfather’s stories about a house for peculiar children. Jacob didn’t believe until one day when his grandfather was dying, he sees a strange creature humanoid. Jacob finds the house but sees that its deserted so he asks for info from local people. On another search for the house he runs into a mysterious girl and begins to follow her and ask questions. They then meet with another boy and all go to the house, and he talks to Miss Peregrine. He is told that he is in a time loop and that he is the only one who can see the hollowgasts, just like his grandfather. Later he sees that the kids use their powers in front of crowds. They brought a man back to life and he told them that the Wight’s killed him. Jacob then decides to stay in the time loop so that they can all escape.  Next, the Wight that killed Jacobs grandfather showed up. Jacob managed to steer him away from the other kids and killed him using a pair of garden shears. After, the kids all go back to the house and see that Miss Peregrine was kidnapped by a Wight, and he warned them to not try and help her, but they didn’t listen and went anyways. When they found the Wight, he was by a lighthouse with Miss Peregrine and another lady, but they were in their bird form locked in a cage. The Wight threw them in the water and Jacob shot and killed the Wight and the kids jumped in to save Miss Peregrine. The kids ended up saving her but not saving the other lady because she was taken by another Wight. So, Jacob went home and told his dad he will be back but he has a mission, and that was to find the other Wight and get the other lady back.