The student news site of Austin High School

The Sentinel

Fa La la la la la la

Rebecka Vargas

It’s an eventful night as the Holten Hawks and the Ellis Eagles prepare for their holiday orchestra concert, on December 8, 2016 in the Knowlton auditorium. The night started out with the fifth graders performing a song named, Good King Wenceslas. The fifth and sixth grade orchestra teacher, Brenda Radloff, was asked what did you do to prepare for this concert? She responded, “ We’ve been preparing by first playing through several songs to decide what would be appropriate songs for their level”.  A few songs performed by the fifth graders as a group were, Jingle Bells, Twinkle Twinkle Christmas Star, and Hot Cross Buns. Soon after, Mrs. Radloff surprised everyone with a group of fifth grade students who were going to perform “Ukrainian Bell Carol”, as a trio. The trio included Ellen Ekins, Echo Zhai, and Henry Jacobs. The crowd clapped with aw for a great performance done by the fifth-grade class.

The sixth grade featured the song, March in the Style of Corelli, Little Drummer Boy, and First Christmas March.  A student who participated in the concert named, Madeline Vargas, was asked how long has she played in orchestra, and if she was going to stick with it. “This is my first year playing the violin. Before this year, I have never played any instrument. I will continue to stick with it. It gets easier over time and I really do like the violin”, said Madeline.

As the Holten instrumentalists’ night came to an end, the Eagles night has just begun. The seventh graders were third to perform. They dazzled the crowd with fun songs such as; Jolly Old St. Nicholas, Deep Sea Fandango, and of course, Burst! When questioned how long she has been teaching orchestra, Mrs. Radloff replied, “This is my fourth year at IJ Holten. I have been teaching string since I was still in high school. In fact, my first student has a daughter who is now my student!” Wow, how crazy.

The eighth graders ended the night with holiday songs including Jingle Bell Rock and Hallelujah. Although they did not get to wear Santa hats, they still had fun and performed their best. What a great concert. See you next year!