The Sentinel

Bruins Battle in Brookings

Liam Thrawl

The Austin Bruins fell to the Brookings Blizzard in a shootout on Sunday, November 13th at the Larson Ice Center in Brookings, South Dakota. The night before, the Bruins fell in overtime and were expecting to come out and take 3 out of the 4 possible points. AJ Drobot, forward for the Austin Bruins, stated, “After last night’s results, we need a win. Nothing less.” The Blizzard had other plans. Austin started the game strong with a second period goal by Charlie Spetz. Charlie expressed his thoughts, “It’s always nice to get a goal that silences the home crowd.” The Bruins held a 1-0 lead through the second. At the start of the third, the Bruins were dominating the game when one small mistake cost them. The Blizzard tied the game up at 1 with 15 minutes to go. Moments later, Austin regained the lead with a power-play goal from Danny Petrick, putting them back in control. Confidence began to build for the Bruins when a bad bounce put the puck in Brookings control and they managed to slip one past the goaltender, Alex Schilling, with close to 5 minutes left. The game went back and forth the last few minutes of regulation when the final buzzer rang with the game still tied at 2. Overtime was full of excitement, AJ Drobot had two game changing chances that just missed. Both teams exchanged chances and the 5-minute 3-on-3 overtime ended, bringing the game to the 3-man shootout. First for the Bruins was forward Jon Richards. The goalie made the stop. Schilling stopped the opponent on their first opportunity as well. As the teams continued to put guys out, goalies continued to stop the shots, when finally, the fifth round came along and forward Jan Stefka got stopped by the Brookings goaltender. The Blizzard then put out forward Paul Cotter who ended the shootout with a deke that slid past Schilling. The Bruins captured a point in the loss and ended up with 2 out of the 4 possible points.