The Sentinel

The First Section Game for AHS Girls Soccer

Abbigail Brinkman

In the first section match of the season, the AHS Girls Soccer team played against Pine Island-Zumbrota-Mazeppa Islanders. The Packers had a rough regular season going 14-2-1. During the Packers section debut, the conditions were harsh, it was down pouring and temperatures reached 34 degrees (⁰F). Despite the rain and frigid temperature, the Packers came out with intensity. The Packers maintained and controlled possession. In the fifteenth minute, Morgan Raymond puts one off a breakaway. Packers are up 1-0. With the confidence of one goal behind them, the Packers continued their offensive attack. The Islanders broke to the sideline a couple of times and gained a few shots. Luckily the Packers were able to deter them from scoring. In the thirty-fifth minute, a corner kick for the packers is knocked in by Chloe Sheehan. Packers take a 2-0 lead at half-time. In the second half, the Packers continued to control the game and keep Pine Island on the defensive end of the field. At the nineteenth minute of the second half, the Packers score there third and final goal. Hope Dudycha makes a free kick from twenty-five yards out. Following the second half goal, were several unlucky shots from The Packers. As they got closer to the end of the game the players became more physical. Frustration was showing as the Islanders drew multiple penalty calls giving the Packers more opportunities. Erin Bickler, A senior defensemen for the Packers, said: “Even though the weather was rough, we still played our hearts out, I’m so proud of this team and that we are continuing our season.” When the whistle blew the Packers quickly celebrated with the fans that came out to support before retreating to the locker room to escape the rainstorm.