The Sentinel

Big Nine Girls Swimming

Elora Hughes

October 27, 2018, at one o’clock Austin high girls, swimming attended Big Nine at the Rochester Rec Center. Along with Austin, Mankato West, Rochester Century, Northfield, Mankato East, and Red Wing were also in attendance.

Century coming out with the win, Northfield not far behind and Mankato west finishing in third. Austin came in last. Although it wasn’t a win for Austin there were plenty of time drops and personal accomplishments for some of the swimmers.

Shannan Kelly, a senior for Austin, unfortunately, is unable to swim at sections due to a shoulder injury so Big Nine was her last meet. Luckily this isn’t the end of her journey. Shannan has recently been recruited to be a part of the Pointers where she will also be attending college to swim.
When asked if she was upset knowing Big Nine was her last meet she said, “I really am but I’m going to have a great meet and do the best that I possibly can.” And she did just that.

Shannan swam the 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle, and the 200 freestyle relay, her 50 time was 27 seconds along with her split for her relay and 1 minute and 2 seconds for her 100 freestyle. Knowing that she couldn’t be in the water she practiced dry land every day for a couple of weeks. So getting back in for a big meet like that she really came out a gave it her all.

Around the pool at practice, she maintained a pretty positive attitude. Not being able to get in the water and watching all of her teammates was pretty tough but she still enjoyed the fact that she could be around her team or what she calls her family.

After big nine she was asked if she was upset about how this season had to end but she kept her head up and said” I am upset about how it had to end but I know that my journey isn’t over. I will miss everyone on this team I will miss all the great memories and some friends that I have made for life. This season didn’t go how I wanted it too but I wouldn’t change it knowing that I got to spend it with the people that I love.”

Shannan will be really missed by her fellow teammates and I as well. She has been a great remodel for this team but also as a great friend to many