The Sentinel

Rochester Century Strolls Past Austin Volleyball in Conference Win

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018, the girls’ varsity volleyball team traveled to take on the Rochester Century Panthers in their last conference game.  The game came five days after taking a tough loss against the top-seeded team in the conference, Northfield.

Austin lost the match against Century in three sets with game scores of 16-25, 19-25, and 13-25. Varsity starter and a junior at AHS, Jordyn McCormack said, ”Century was one of our toughest matches this season the first set started off slow but we picked it up in the second one.” The austin girls’ volleyball team has had what McCormack said to be a “turn around season” and she thinks their new head coach is the reason for that. McCormack said, “we started the match off slow because we knew they were going to be a tough opponent.” Rochester Century has gone 8-2 in the Big Nine Conference this year and 17-5 overall. Things started to look like they were going to turn around for the Packers in the second set when they battled back and forth with the Panthers. McCormack shared her perspective on the game, ”After the first game I think a lot of us began to realize that we can and could play with them. We needed to focus on our side of the court and control what we can contro

l. We have to have confidence in ourselves and each other to win matches like this.”  Unfortunately, Austin fell short losing the set 19-25. The third set didn’t go as planned for the Packers. “After the first two losses we were frustrated with ourselves and I think that is why we weren’t able to play how we know we can play,” reflected McCormack. Austin finished the regular season 8-18 overall and had their eyes set on the first round of sections. Austin thought this match against Century would be a  good competition to get them ready for the first round of sections. The Packerswill play at Rochester Mayo on October 24.