The Sentinel

Football: Game, or lifestyle

Cameron Krueger

Football is a widely known sport in America. People start playing competitively as young as first grade and even younger with friends. Senior, Isaac Clasen was one of these first graders who started playing flag football. For him, like most kids who join, he wanted to play because he wanted to catch the ball and score touchdowns. When you watch it on tv you normally watch it just for entertainment, but for some people, it is more than just a game it is a lifestyle.

Not only do you get to have fun playing the game, but you also make life-long friends. Clasen was one of those players who made many friends during his time on the field.

Anyone watching a football game that he is playing in, might not even notice him. That’s because Isaac is a lineman, one of the most difficult positions, and probably the most underrated. Linemen don’t get the ball, so you never watch them, but if you tried to move the ball without them, you would wouldn’t gain an inch. As Clasen said, “you can’t individually compete, every position has its own job which contributes to the whole team.” For Clasen, that job is staying on your blocks and protecting your teammates so they can run the ball.

As a senior at Austin High School, he has put a lot of time and effort into this game he holds very near to his heart. However, like all things it had to come to an end. On Tuesday, October 23rd, 2018, the Austin Packers faced a heartbreaking defeat against the Mayo Spartans. This was the last game of the senior’s lives.

On the sidelines with two minutes left on the clock, you could see many seniors with heavy hearts. Some of the seniors even crying over the game that they have put so much hard work into. Isaac didn’t even realize until the game was over that he would probably never step foot onto a field to play football ever again. With his football career over Clasen said that he felt “sort of relieved, but also pretty sad because I will never play with my friends again as a team.”

With football comes a lot of hard work, and Clasen was no exception. Knowing that you will never do something that you loved so much for so long again hurts. The things you learn from football will stick with you forever because football is more than just a game. It’s a lifestyle.