The student news site of Austin High School

The Sentinel

Singing. Acting. A MUSICAL.

Bobbie Thoma Buschardt

Austin Public schools presents the musical Lucky Stiff by Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty. The show occurred on November 17-19, 2016 in Christgau Hall and had students in all grades. The musical is about Harry Witherspoon and his uncle and their crazy trip to Monte Carlo. The trip to Monte Carlo was supposed to bring Witherspoon out of his everyday life and that was accomplished. The show is comedic piece and had the audience laughing and in shock at the unforeseen plot twist. Also, this show contained romance and adventure. Erin Anderson was part of the audience, also a former drama participant, and she expressed that, “the show could not have been any better, well maybe the set, but everything was great.”  Paul Muller, an actor in the musical, was questioned about one thing he would want to change and he reluctantly stated, “I would have wanted more actor specially to play the voice of Tony but other than that I think that it was really fun.” Musicals are very hard to be directed but Gordy Handeland did a very swell job of pulling this one off.

The actors in this play seemed very dedicated and when Arn Huizinga was asked about the rehearsal time that it took to get ready and responded “normally we practiced about two hours after school Monday through Thursday.”  All the practice that the actors paid off especially since the got the audience doubled over from laughing. Also, Huizinga was questioned if he was proud of the performance he chuckled and answered, “I am very proud of the performance especially considering what happened on Monday; we were so not ready but we got better and better and I am very proud of our performance.” The cast was made up of Austin High students that were close nit and multiple cast members expressed the fun and excitement they had at rehearsals.

Erin Anderson had to choose her favorite part of the entire musical she came up with that even though that it was all fabulous but the part with the drunk made stealing the dead old man because she could not stop laughing.  My favorite part was when the fish made their single entrance and their only part. If students wanted to join the next musical Huizinga advise that they have a lot of free time because it will only help. This was a successful and funny musical by the students at Austin High School. Way to go AHS!