The Sentinel

Latino Engineering Academic Day set for Nov. 11

Serious Jackson, Staff Writer

Latino youth at AHS have the opportunity to go to Minnesota State University on Tuesday Nov. 11 to attend Latino Engineering Academic Day (LEAD).

One of the main goals  of LEAD is to encourage and motivate Latino youth to  pursue educational opportunities in the area of engineering and to increase their access to higher education.

LEAD will help provide students with the opportunities to meet current Latino professionals in the field of engineering and get them familiarized with a higher education institution like Minnesota State University, Mankato.

According to Carla Conradt, a success coach at AHS, there are some barriers that might prevent Latino students from pursuing engineering careers.

“If students are not interested in math and science in school they might not be interested in since it focuses on math and science,” she said. “Sometimes students don’t even know what engineering is about.”

Austin High School students get to go to this event if they are in upper level science and math courses, Principles of Technology, or the AVID program.

Irving Morales, a senior at AHS this year,  is  going to  this event for  the second time.

“I learned [a lot] from attending this event and got to know what engineering is about and the different places that I could use those skills,” he said.

Morales encourages other students who thinking about going to attend.

“Go for it. It’s fun, you learn a lot, and you get to meet people who have the same interest as you,” he said.