The Sentinel

Elementary School Tours

Unknown

Hugh Olson, Former Editor In Chief

On Wednesday, May 29th, the top audition music groups from Austin High School: Jazz One, La Fiera, and The Austinaires spent their Tuesday performing for younger kids to show them how great music really is. The groups played at six schools around Austin: Sumner Elementary, Banfield Elementary, Southgate Elementary, Neveln Elementary, IJ Holton Middle School, and Ellis Middle School. Each group performed three to four songs at each school, and these students gave up one of their last days leading up to finals to teach kids about the wonderful Austin music program. The schools look forward to this day every year, because it gets the younger kids excited about music and excited about their transition into middle/high school. One member of Jazz One, Steven Conradt, spoke about the tours and said, “sharing your love of music with other people is something special.” A member of La Fiera, Thomas Walker, said that his favorite part of the elementary tours was, “playing music for the kids”. A senior member of The Austinaires, Berghyn Hull, said her favorite part of the tours was, “getting to see all the kids and their reactions and hopefully inspiring some of them to join the music program when they’re older.” Even though this event happens every year, the students involved are full of energy and life, and are driven to inspire these younger kids, and that truly is something special.