The Sentinel

Cross Country Meet at Owatonna

Dongrin Deng

I had the chance to interview Jacob Ziegler who is a Junior at Austin High School and who is a second year returnee on the cross country team. Jacob started running cross country for Austin his sophomore year when he moved from Nebraska and he told me it was a big adjustment because he had to start fresh and start over in a new town. But he said Cross Country eased the adjustment because everybody was friendly and easy to be friends with and he said “It felt like they welcomed me into their family with open hands”. When I asked Jacob on how he thinks the season is going to go this year he said the team looks good and they have a good chance on qualifying for state and for him he said that’s his biggest goal because it’s his first year with the varsity squad. Jacob said that he and his team felt confident going in the meet because they been doing well in the past meets. He also said that the Owatonna meet is a challenging meet because they have a lot of good runners and it’s going to be challenging but he said it’s also going to be a fun experience. I asked Jacob  how their meet in Owatonna went and he said they did well as a team and good for individuals. The Austin Boys’ Cross Country team took fourth place and the Austin girls finished sixth at the 12-team Ev Berg Invite in Owatonna, Tuesday. Meti Omod took fourth for the Austin Packer boys. Also Henry Hinchcliffe in the same race placed seventh. Abby Lewis took sixth for the Austin girls. Jacob said he’s looking forward to the upcoming meets and improve with his team and hopefully qualify for state and have a memorable season.